ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ORGANIC FARMING
What is Organic Farming?
Organic farming is a horticultural system that utilizes environmentally based green manure, compost, biological pest control, organic fertilizers derived generally from animal and plant squanders, nitrogen-fixing cover crops and crop rotation to produce crops, livestock and poultry. Organic centred agriculture cultivates the cycling of resources to conserve biodiversity and promote environmental balance. The utilization of green compost, spread harvests, animal fertilizer and soil rotation to interrupt the cycle of pests and maladies, improve soil fertility, and boost the soil’s biological activity are the essential parts of organic farming. Present-day organic farming is created as a response to the ecological damage brought about by the usage of chemical pesticides and synthetic fertilisers in conventional farming practices, and it has various biological advantages.
The concept of organic farming was created in the mid 1900s by Sir Albert Howard, F.H. Lord, Rudolf Steiner, and other people who accepted that the use of animal fertilizers (frequently made into compost), cover crops, crop rotation, and naturally based pest controls brought about a superior cultivating system. Howard, having worked in India as a horticultural scientist, got motivation from the traditional and sustainable farming practices he came across there and pushed for their adoption in the West.
What are the types of Organic Farming?
Pure Organic Farming
It includes the utilization of natural composts and biopesticides with complete avoidance of inorganic synthetic substances such as chemicals and pesticides.
Integrated organic farming
It includes integrated nutrients management and integrated pest management. This makes sure that plants get all the nutrition that is required for them to give healthy fruits and have good nutritional value.
Integration of different farming system
It involves cultivation of various components of farming such as poultry, mushroom, livestock along with regular crop production.
What are advantages and disadvantages of organic farming?
Pros of organic farming:
- Minimises the external cost of farming– use of conventional fertilisers and chemicals has side effect on local environment and requires extra expenditure that is not viable. In organic farming, you can incorporate locally produced animal manure which is easily available
- Efficient use of resources– nothing goes to wastein organic farming as it works on the principle of recycling resources.
- Better taste and nutritional value– the produce in organic farming has high nutritional value and taste a lot better because the crops are produced in a healthy environment away from pests.
- Sustainable– When chemical is used in field although they cost less but there is a possibility they get leached in soil and later to ground water that caused harmful effects.
- Food security– In this practice there are high chances that your crop will flourish and have high yield as the products and measures used by you for cultivation were of good quality.
- Improved health– when you eat healthy you stay healthy. The organically produced crops have high nutritional value and contains no harmful effects of fertilisers or pesticides thus improves human health on consumption.
Cons of Organic farming
- Low productivity in long term– The contemporary world farming production objective is superior productivity. While organic farming guarantees improved and more advantageous produce, it is just useful in the present moment as the enormous inputs, for example, apparatus and productions are good and gone.
- Time consuming– It requires a great deal of commitment, persistence and difficult task to successfully develop crops organically. Organic farming needs a high amount of interaction between a rancher and his/her harvests or domesticated animals.
- Skill– To work in this field, you must learn how to do organic farming as it is tedious and requires a good farming skill set and knowledge of organically produced manure.
- Expense– To even start organic farming, one needs to spend more money as it is un-conventional way of farming and the resources requires you to spend more.
How to do organic farming in India?
Get familiar with the basics
Learning the basics of organic farming is the initial step in beginning a organic farm. This unquestionably gives traces of what one may expect and where one ought to begin from. It is useful to invest into a pre-hand research. It is likewise essential to be occupied with discussions with experts who are already in the business. Participate in organic farm training program and farmer get together conferences. The experience of another farmer who experienced a similar stage is exceptionally useful in making the exploratory process a ton smoother.
The site plays an imperative function for any venture to be successful. An organic farm’s location ordinarily decides how the endeavour will turn out. The organic farm site ought to be near a water source: water is a non-negotiable resource for crop growth and wellbeing. By chance, if the water source is far, it is considerably more difficult to manage irrigation for you crop. It is very important for success of your organic farm.
The proximity of the ranch to the commercial centre likewise plays a major part in the sustainability of the farm. The farm’s closeness to the market takes into accounts for an easy transportation of produce for selling. Likewise, this helps spare costs while shipping materials to the farm.
In any case, site selection ought to be aligned with the end goal of the organic farming. If the farm isn’t for a business purpose, the role of the previously mentioned variables will possibly diminish. The motivation behind the farm also decides its size.
Understand your market
It is critical to know the kind of market that a farmer is catering for. Some agricultural items may not be sellable in a specific type of market. This thought is useful in making the endeavour sustainable.
Discover what horticultural products the market needs, what is the market’s purchasing limit, and how frequently does the market purchase such produce. It is likewise essential to sort out how the farmer will sell items to the market. Keep a backup marketing plan, as well.
Have a good quality of soil and yield good crops
All the successful organic farm produce start with good soil. The soil’s condition straightforwardly supplements the plants filling in it. Inorganic soil treatment possibly harm the climate, the plants that grow in the soil, just as the consumers who in the long run eat the food. Good soil implies to the soil that is rich supplements essential for the development of plants. A good soil is a combination of compost, leaf and grass clippings, and manure, among other vital compositions.
Farmers mostly have an advantage when they make their own fertilizer on location. It is easy to make and saves a lot of money. Compost enables conservation of water, eliminate weeds, and keep wastes out. This step is pivotal when one starts farming.
Once you have prepared the soil, choose the variety of crop you want to grow, take care of it wisely.
This is a long process and the results can be different from your expectations. Mostly, if you take care of your crops well, they will yield great results.
Once you have started the business, create a website for advertising your products and services. Change your organic farming business into a brand name. Social Media is used by almost everyone around. It is almost certain that at least one person in your locality must be using any social media platform. Putting up pages on Facebook and Instagram, developing a strong SEO, and investing in marketing offline can bring great audience attraction to your chicken farm business. Along with online, spending on offline methods to propagate business is necessary. Do market research of who are the people who are most likely to buy from you, contact them. Since you have an offline store and most customers will save your number for future reference, you can invest in WhatsApp Business and use its marketing tools to propagate your business. It is convenient to use and digitally provides a personal touch as the medium is one to one messaging which has become one of the best provisions of converting prospects to customers. Remember to greet them nicely and make them feel important.
The organic farming business is a very good step towards a healthy lifestyle. We are in a world where people are ready to dispense money on good quality food as they have realised the important of it. Organic farming is sustainable and helpful for rejuvenation of ecosystem. It is a great step. Plan your business successfully and it sure will be profitable.